Monday, April 2, 2007

Encouraging Words

In recent weeks I have been encouraged in reading The Autobiography of George Muller. Muller lived and ministered around London in the mid 1800s. He was a pastor and itinerant preacher. However, his greatest work for the cause of Christ was the "orphan houses" that he founded and operated for many years. Muller was a man of great faith and a giant in prayer. His autobiography allows a peek into his prayer closet as he tells of the trials and victories of his life and ministry. I have been both encouraged and convicted by this man's account of his walk with the Lord. He prayed like many of us would aspire to pray, but precious few of us ever do.

Below is an entry dated March 17, 1842. Read it, and be challenged to draw closer to our great and awesome God.

"This morning our poverty, which now has lasted for several months, became exceedingly great. I left my house a few minutes after seven to go to the Orphan Houses to see whether there was enough money to buy milk. I prayed that the Lord would have mercy on us, even as a father has mercy on is children. I reminded Him of the consequences that would result, both in the lives of believers and unbelievers, if we had to give up the work because of lack of money, and that He therefore would not permit it to fail.

While I was walking and praying, I met a brother who was on his way to work. I greeted him and walked on, but he ran after me and gave me one pound for the orphans. Thus the Lord speedily answered my prayer.

Truly, it is worth being poor and greatly tried in faith for the sake of having such precious, daily proof of the loving interest which our kind Father takes in everything that concerns us. How could our Father do otherwise? He gave us the greatest possible proof of His love when He gave us His own Son. Surely He will also freely give us all things."

No comments: