Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The Mystery of Providence

There are no coincidences. God is sovereign and he has ordered all things according to his will, his plan and his purposes. All of this factors into the doctrine of divine providence.

Wayne Grudem has defined providence this way: "God is continually involved with all created things in such a way that he 1) keeps them existing and maintaining the properties with which he created them; 2) cooperates with created things in every action, directing their distinctive properties to cause them to act as they do; and 3) directs them to fulfill his purposes." Systematic Theology pg. 315

I will admit this is a tremendously deep aspect of God that I do not pretend to understand comprehensively. However, I see the truth of it all around me.

John Flavel (d. 1691) has a very good work entitled The Mystery of Providence. What I have read in this short volume has been a blessing. Flavel provides a great Puritan perspective on this topic.

The recent traffic on my blog has led me to ponder this subject and the various aspects of God's providence. I have noticed an increase in recent visitors. The little map at the bottom left corner reveals that folks in other parts of the world have been guests here "Under the Steeple." Most often I don't know who they are or why they surfed in. This much I know for sure, God is ordering all things. This means it is not simply by chance that you are reading these words.

One of my goals in this blog is to share the message and truth of God's grace in Christ Jesus. That is what has transformed my life. God in his providence led me and drew me to see the truth. It is an awesome mystery.

No comments: