Wednesday, February 6, 2008

God Doesn't Speak English

I have been made aware that there is an individual in our community that is asking questions about God. I will be seeking an opportunity to "speak" with this person. The challenge for me will be that we don't speak the same language. I barely speak English. Actually, I am fluent in West Virginian, but that's another post altogether.

Someone close to this person, who speaks the same language, has asked me to help them share the gospel. Yesterday I provided a few key Bible verses that will be helpful. At the end of the day, regardless if there is a language barrier, the Holy Spirit of God must do the work. God doesn't speak English, Swahili, Spanish or Arabic. God speaks to the heart, to the deepest need of the soul. "For with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness" (Rom. 10:10).

Furthermore, it is clear from Scripture that when all is said and done there will be a great multicultural chorus of praise to God (Rev. 5:9). Isn't it awesome how the Creator relates to all of His creation, not just those who speak English (I say that because we are so very proud of our language aren't we). And, by His grace He will bring many, from every tongue and nation, into a relationship with Him through faith in Christ.

1 comment:

Scott Bandy said...

Good thoughts Jon. BTW - You can speak West Virginian to me anytime - I do understand that language. You should try speaking it in Ireland :)
Love ya brother. Keep up the good posts.

Scott