Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Too Normal for Hollywood

I almost fell out of my chair when I read about a new movie that is in the works. Apparently, casting is underway for extras to appear in a new horror film starring Julianne Moore (whoever that is). What caught my attention, and provoked some outrage, is that they are seeking "odd" looking people to appear in a scene that is set in West Virginia. A Charleston Daily-Mail article tells about WV Governor Joe Manchin's protest of this stereotyping.

It is a bit irritating to hear of such a blatant misrepresentation of the people from my home state. I bet you could find weirdos nearly anywhere. Why single out the ones from WV? Is West Virginia the only state left that has ingrates? Actually, the population of WV is only about 1.8 million. (I know a lot of them and they are way too normal for Hollywood.) There have got to be a lot more freaks in California or New York. Talk about "unusual body shapes." Now there's a horror movie just waiting to be made.

No comments: