Thursday, March 13, 2008

New Book on Jesus, Dangerous

I'm not shocked or surprised to learn about the new book by Deepak Chopra. He is an MD who also serves as a new-age guru on issues regarding mind-body health, emotional freedom, yoga and the like. He also apparently makes a lot of money speaking, selling books and peddling "spirituality light" packaged for everyone. The sort of stuff that appeals to post-moderns who need to have their religious itch scratched, but not by anything that resembles biblical truth.

Chopra's newest release is entitled, "The Third Jesus: The Christ We Can't Ignore." I haven't read the book, but I did read this review. I suspect that many on the forefront of "engaging the culture" (read Dr. M) will read the book and speak very intelligently about it. My problem is that I can't seem to get through the books I want/need to read. So, I'll leave the heavy lifting to the experts.

I have a concern that there are well-meaning, immature, Christians who will pick this book up at Borders thinking it might be helpful. (I just had a flash in my mind of the robot from Lost in Space: "Danger, danger...") All the more reason for us to be alert to what is lurking in the "religious" shadows.

If you are looking for a good book I hear Tim Keller's newest release, The Reason For God, is excellent. It is written for skeptics and Christians, according to the author. Sounds like a great read to sharpen our apologetic.

No comments: