Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Holy Spirit and Prayer

Last week in our mid-week Bible study we discussed the Holy Spirit and prayer. To aid my study I have been slowly reading through Derek Prime's work Practical Prayer. Here is a brief snippet from his thoughts on the Holy Spirit that I found encouraging.

"The Holy Spirit has been given to assist us in every aspect of our living of the Christian life. He increases our spiritual understanding; He gives spiritual strength and stamina; He guides and directs; and He provides gifts for service. He works both in and with us. But He is particularly our helper in prayer, and prayer is a non-event without His presence and activity. Responsible from the beginning for our spiritual new birth, the Holy Spirit helps us to utter our first cry to God - 'God have mercy on me, a sinner.'"

More and more I realize the deficiency of my prayer life. However, it is a great blessing and encouragement to know that I have a helper, one sent from God to walk along with me. Tuck that truth away and draw it out next time you find yourself in a struggle to pray.

No comments: