Thursday, June 4, 2009

Quotable

"When the true Gospel of Grace is preached, the believers will be glad, the rebels will get mad, and the pharisees will be confused"

This quotation is attributed to Rolfe Barnard who was a southern evangelist in the 1950s and 60s. He had a powerful ministry throughout the South and eventually "preached" his way to Canada. His style and passion for Christ while he was preaching is a thing of the past. Thankfully, several of his sermons were recorded and are readily available today.

My father had a few copies of Barnard's sermons on cassette and he shared them with me soon after my conversion in 1995. That old-fashion preacher told of God's mercy and grace in a way I had seldom heard. These words of truth stirred my soul, and still do. I count Rolfe Barnard as one of my favorite preachers ever.

If you have time, I encourage you to listen to a classic Barnard sermon: "Sovereign Mercy." It is one of my favorites. At the conclusion of the message he shares the true story of how God, working in great power, moved upon the heart of a lady during a meeting in Canada. A real picture of God's sovereign mercy.

No comments: