Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Enjoy Grace


"...God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble." (James 4:6)

I recently took a close look at this verse.  I was challenged to consider the things that I do out of pride, and there are many.  The obvious implication is that when I walk in sinful pride I am walking in opposition to my heavenly Father.  If you take just a moment to process that truth it may shake you to the core.  An honest look at your heart may reveal that there are areas of pride in your life too.  It is helpful to recognize these sorts of subtle sins, share them with a trusted friend, confess them to God and repent from them.  But wait, it gets better.  Read the second phrase.  When we live humbly before God and others we enjoy the grace of God!  That is the favor of Almighty God.  This is something that is so powerful and something that I desperately need and desire.

Let me encourage you to list a few ways you display pride.  Then, list the ways you have experienced God giving you grace when you exhibit humility.  Thank Him for the kindness and mercy that is yours in Christ.  Give Him praise.  Enjoy Grace.

No comments: