Thursday, June 27, 2019

When Every Day is Sunday

My mother-in-law has lived with us for the past year. She is also living with dementia. It is such a difficult disease that robs one of memory for sure, but also so much more. Over the last year I have often said, "Every day is a different day," which has multiple meanings from my perspective. Each day brings different challenges, surprises and awareness. At one level, we never know what to expect day to day as a family experiencing dementia together. However, in contrast, there is also a level of sameness that comes along with the disease.

Often a person living with dementia will give the same response to common questions. They often tell the same stories. Sometimes they ask the same questions. One of the regular questions we get from "Mommaw" is, "What day is this?" That is the most important question for her.

She gets up every day and gets dressed. Nearly every day she puts on a dress, the way she would if she were going to church. Very quickly she wants to determine what day it is, mainly (I believe) because she is hoping it is Sunday. You see, for her, Sunday is the best day. It is the day she knows where she will be and what she will be doing. It is the day she goes to church, the day she sings, the day she enjoys the fellowship of a community also engaging in worship. While many things have changed in her world over the last several years, her desire to worship Jesus with a congregation has not faded. When the answer to her question is, "Today is Sunday," there is a noticeable shift in her demeanor. It seems like she lives as if every day is Sunday. What a great lesson for me.

What if I approached every day eagerly anticipating the opportunity to worship? What might be different about my life if I lived with laser focus, hoping to experience the presence of God? What if I forgot about all the things that distract me from the goal of living out my faith and engaging with others? The truth is, every day is an opportunity to worship God and enjoy his presence. In fact, every moment is an opportunity to experience his grace. Because of Jesus, I am always connected to God's power and love. Sadly, my life can become full of distractions, busyness and unhealthy ways of living that keep me from enjoying God's presence. I can forget that his "mercies are new every morning." Even as a pastor, engaged in regular ministry, these struggles are real. [Eek, hope I didn't burst your bubble...every pastor is a human being...with flaws, and prone to struggles, just like yours!]

But thankfully, my lapses in memory and faithfulness never diminish God's love for me. God is always for me, day by day and moment by moment. And I am always welcomed into fellowship with him.

No comments: