Friday, April 24, 2020

Perhaps its Time to Push Pause


Since the cataclysmic shift in our culture I have spent more time on Facebook than I did previously. I've invested time in other activities as well, but social media has become a source of entertainment and information. It also gives me a sense of connection with friends, which is sorely missing during social isolation. Or at least I tell myself it is a way of connecting.

Here are a few things I've noticed have increased in my News Feed over the last month:

1. Funny Stuff - people have really stepped up their humor game during this pandemic. Nothing like forced isolation and 24/7 news about a virus to bring out the laughs. I have literally "Laughed Out Loud" at least once a day for the past month and it has been a enjoyable.

"A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones." Proverbs 17:22 

2. Pictures of Food - it seems more people must be cooking at home. So as a way to celebrate I think they are sharing the evidence of their culinary creations with the world. Perhaps if a recipe was included that would make the sharing of these food pics more useful. Just a suggestion.

3. Negative and vitriolic statements aimed at "those people" - Can we just push pause?! The name calling, the blaming and shaming, it's just too much. With my diverse "friend" group I see both sides, one right after another. If it weren't so sad and divisive, it would almost be laughable. Two seemingly intelligent human beings, looking at the same scenario, and finding an exact opposite perspective. No common ground, just a line in the sand. No gray, just black or white. Very little compassion or humility or sensitivity, just arrogance and defensiveness.

The truth is, we will see things differently and that's okay. It doesn't have to turn into a shouting match that must be won at all costs. In the midst of severe change in our lives we can get testy and "cabin fever" is probably a factor. But that's really no excuse. Western society feeds the dualistic thinking that creates division and the desire to be on the right side of an argument seems to be woven into the fabric of America. However, it doesn't have to be that way. What if we were open to hearing insights from those with whom we disagree? What if its not This or That, but we were willing to consider a third way? What if we valued the souls of others more than being right?

"A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." Proverbs 15:1

I doubt my words will affect much change. But I would like to think my voice could be heard above the hateful noise. Perhaps I will raise awareness and someone will pause before they post an unhelpful accusation, attack or inflammatory statement. It wouldn't be the worst thing if all of us just put the devices down for 24-48 hours. Who knows, maybe there are better ways to spend our time? I understand there is a wonderful TV show about tigers that seems to be quite a hit.


No comments: