Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Blame It On The Big Apple

Poor, little, sheltered, country girl goes from small town KY to the big city and gets swept up in the whirlwind that is NYC. From where I sit here in Kentucky, Miss USA Tara Conner appears to be pretty typical. Except for the fact that her "job" is being a pageant winner [that just slays me].

I suppose this is big news for some, it's all over the media (I prefer my news fair and balanced). I'm posting on this in order to call attention to the facts that seem to be pushed aside in the mainstream press. Why in the world did Tara Conner go "hog wild and pig crazy" in NYC? Because it's what people do. Because it's called having fun. Because she was overwhelmed by the fast life of the big city. While some of that may be true, it would be more accurate to say that Tara Conner has displayed her true nature. It is the fallen sin nature. She is just like everyone else in the fact that she is totally depraved.

I don't know anything about her life, upbringing or spiritual background. But I have been on the same road she is on. I stumbled down that road for nearly 30 years. For Miss Conner she has gotten a "second chance" from Mr. Trump. From an eternal perspective, that's not worth very much. Personally, I was rescued by the amazing grace of Almighty God! I was awakened to the reality of my sin and the truth of Christ as the only way to forgiveness and peace with God.

I suppose it's tough being a pageant queen. However, think about the eternal implications of continuing to seek after the flesh and the fleeting passions of the world. It's only going to get tougher. Mr. Trump may give her a second chance and a Manhattan apartment, but "joy unspeakable" is only available at the Cross!

No comments: