Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Reformation Day Quote

October 31, 1517 Martin Luther nailed his Ninety-Five Theses on the door of the Wittenberg Church. He later faced a tribunal, excommunication and potential execution for his stance in favor of God's Word and against the Roman Catholic Church. Here are his now famous closing words spoken before his accusers:

"Your Imperial Majesty and Your Lordships demand a simple answer. Here it is, plain and unvarnished. Unless I am convicted [convinced] of error by the testimony of Scripture or (since I put no trust in the unsupported authority of Pope or councils, since it is plain that they have often erred and often contradicted themselves) by manifest reasoning, I stand convicted [convinced] by the Scriptures to which I have appealed, and my conscience is taken captive by God's word, I cannot and will not recant anything, for to act against our conscience is neither safe for us, nor open to us. On this I take my stand. I can do no other. God help me. Amen." [source]

No comments: