Friday, March 28, 2008

Quotable - Andrew Fuller

The following quotation is taken from a letter written by Andrew Fuller to his dear friend John Ryland.

"I am a poor guilty creature, but Christ is an almighty Saviour. I have preached and written much against the abuse of the doctrine of grace; but that doctrine is all my salvation and all my desire. I have no other hope than from salvation by mere sovereign, efficacious grace, through the atonement of my Lord and Saviour. With this hope, I can go into eternity with composure."

The letter was penned April 28, 1815. Fuller died May 7, 1815. Ryland preached his friend's funeral, as requested, using Romans 8:10 as his sermon text.

Source: The armies of the Lamb: The spirituality of Andrew Fuller, edited by Michael Haykin, pg. 269

No comments: