Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Life is Indeed a Vapor

Yesterday, during my regular visit to the nursing home, I had a great conversation with the oldest resident. Ms. Brooks is proud to tell everyone that she is approaching her 101st birthday. Wow, can you imagine? She is also quick to give glory to God and share her trust in Him as the only source of strength and joy.

I couldn't help but think of her when I read the recent post over at The Pulpit & the Pew. I commend this post for its gospel-centered perspective on life and death.

While we cling to this life with all its trappings, we must be honest with ourselves. Life is indeed a vapor. When this brief journey is completed a new one will begin. For those who are in Christ, that journey will take us into the very presence of our Creator. This new life will be incomparable to even what we think of as wonderful on this earth. All of this eternal glory comes to us as an extension of God's grace, not based on worldly accomplishments or well-practiced religion.

Even if we live to be 100, amass enormous wealth, and experience celebrity-type fame, all of that will pass away in an instant. It is a terribly humbling thought. I trust that you can echo the words of William Cowper: "Then in a nobler, sweeter song, I’ll sing Thy power to save, when this poor lisping, stammering tongue lies silent in the grave."

No comments: