Thursday, December 24, 2009

Clearly Articulating the Gospel

Recently I was asked to write out the gospel. While this seems fairly straight forward, I'm not sure I did a very good job. Its not that I don't know the gospel. It just seems that I battle against the use of canned phrases that are filled with so much "Christianese." I think I included all the main points about God and man and Jesus. Yet, even after a few edits, I was not completely happy with my final product.

Then, while reading A. W. Tozer's Man the Dwelling Place of God, I read the following paragraph. It seems to be a very concise explanation of the way of salvation. Take a look:

"Salvation comes not by 'accepting the finished work' or 'deciding for Christ.' It comes by believing on the Lord Jesus Christ, the whole, living, victorious Lord who, as God and man, fought our fight and won it, accepted our debts as His own and paid it, took our sins and died under them and rose again to set us free. This is the true Christ, and nothing less will do."

That is a pretty clear articulation of the Good News.

.

No comments: