Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Praise and Personal Evangelism

"I waited patiently for the LORD;
And He inclined to me and heard my cry.
He brought me up out of the pit of destruction,
 out of the miry clay,
And He set my feet upon a rock making my
 footsteps firm.
He put a new song in my mouth, a song of 
 praise to our God;
Many will see and fear
 and will trust in the LORD."
Psalm 40:1-3

When we honestly reflect on what God has done for us in Christ we ought to burst into joyful praise.  That is what the Psalmist points to in the opening verses of Psalm 40.  Going from the miry clay to the Solid Rock is certainly worth shouting about!  But, it is the last phrase that hints at the relationship between our praise and personal evangelism.  When we recognize what God has done for us, by His gracious salvation, our praise will lead others to see this glorious truth and submit to Him.  When we take our eyes off the cross and stop reveling in Christ, our joy and praise diminish.  As does our witness for the Lord Jesus.

Speaking of this many years ago, John Piper said, "When our praise ceases, the effectiveness of our ministries will cease." [quote taken from a sermon preached by Piper as a student at Fuller Seminary]

Let us continue to praise and glory in our Father's grace!  So that many will come to know Him.

HT: JT

No comments: