Thursday, March 19, 2020

When Change Comes To Church

Empty sanctuary behind me. Pondering the new stuff.
I will never forget sitting in a meeting with leaders of a church and hearing a man say, "If it involves change, I'm against it!" That was nearly 20 years ago and thankfully that congregation is still faithfully serving their community. And they have made changes.

Today, March 19, 2020, I am sitting in the middle of a bunch of changes. All of us are. Some more severe than others, but we are all shaken. There is a virus spreading across the globe. It really doesn't matter if you agree with how things are being handled, decisions are being made that impact everyone. Change is happening. There is no "business as usual" for anyone. At least for the next several weeks, things are going to be different. And as a pastor that means change has come to how we do church.

First, some context.
Americans are not accustomed to having the government tell us what to do and when to do it. We don't respond well to that sort of thing. I understand. It is part of the fabric of our nation - the land of liberty. The notion that a government official would suggest that we stay in our homes, cancel our public gatherings and close down our businesses smacks of tyranny.

Add to that, for many Christians, the idea of staying home from a church gathering is just behind adultery on the list of "Thou shall nots!" Again, I get it. Gathering in community for worship is an important aspect of living out our faith. And when we gather we enjoy the kindred fellowship. We shake hands, and of course every congregation has those who want to hug everyone. We pass around offering plates. We share the elements of communion. We stand side by side and boldly sing gospel truth. Faith traditions and deeply spiritual rituals are difficult to simply give up overnight.

Where does that leave us? 
We can embrace doing things differently, or we can push back. We can welcome new ways of accomplishing ministry, or we can bristle at the mention of these suggestions and resist.

What would it look like if we trusted God and welcomed everything that he brought across our path? What if we stepped out of our comfort zone with an attitude of curiosity, believing that God has something good for us even in the hard things?

Let's not pretend that this is not an emotional storm on many levels. I've been anxious in the midst of all this stuff. Fearful at times. I don't usually handle change well. I enjoy being comfortable. However, I have become aware that resisting usually leads to more frustration and can even do damage to myself and others. So, my aim is to be more open and to welcome what comes with each new day. I'm praying for courage and wisdom. And, I'm willing to trust that there are blessings around this corner of uncertainty. As a dear friend of mine often says, "A change is as good as a holiday!"

Let me add, I realize there are different levels of impact with the changes sweeping through our nation. Thousands of people are getting sick and some are even dying from this virus. Additionally, many people are going to suffer near financial ruin as a result of closures and cancellations. My comments are not intended to minimize those dire circumstances or dismiss those who are truly suffering, as if adjusting a church schedule is comparable. I pray that we will all experience God's peace and presence, moment by moment.


No comments: