Tuesday, May 19, 2020

We Need One Another


The following was part of an email I sent to our congregation. Perhaps it will be helpful for you.


Is there anything you need?

Take minute to reflect on that question.

I want to encourage you to consider what you need and to use your voice and ask for it (from me and others in your life). Perhaps you need prayer, or help with a project or task, or clarity around a conversation, or someone to just listen to your heart, or advice before you make a decision...there are hundreds of things you or I might need. And there are things that can block us from asking or expressing our needs. Sharing your needs with others is part of living in community and allowing yourself to be seen and known. Expressing your needs to others is not a sign of weakness. It is not burdensome, inappropriate or presumptuous.

I'm open to hearing from you. I hope we will be open to one another, to share our needs and to ask one another for help. And using your voice goes both ways. We have to ask for what we need (because people can't read our minds) and we must be honest about our ability or willingness to meet the needs of others.

I may not always get what I want/need even when I ask, and that's okay. Here's why, because ultimately I already have everything I need. Because in Christ, I am totally secure and I don't have to depend on others to complete me. But, the beauty of Christian community is that Jesus can work through others to meet our needs and assist us along the way. And he is with us too.


No comments: