Thursday, April 29, 2021

Anchored and Secure

When I pay attention to my reactions to others, I can learn something. It happens in actual, personal conversations, but also on social media. Something is said, something is posted, or something is done, and I want to react or respond.

There are times when I feel as if I need to prove myself. Sometimes I respond in order to promote myself (or my opinion or my way of thinking). Other times I want to defend myself, as if I am being attacked or my "tribe" is being threatened.

These three responses are seldom the overflow of love, grace, compassion, wisdom, or humility. Often they are driven by shame or fear. When I want to offer a forceful response I am often concerned with being right, being strong, or looking good. Heaven forbid others view me as weak, or incapable, or deficient in any way.

Here are two helpful verses from Scripture. If I keep them in front of me during tense interactions they may save me from hurting others or acting inappropriately.

"This I know, that God is for me." (Psalm 56:9)

"If God is for us who can be against us." (Romans 8:31)

In Christ, I am totally anchored and secure. I already have all that I need. Ultimately, there is nothing for me to prove, nothing to promote, and nothing to defend. When I stand firmly in that place, where I know that I am safe and loved by God, I am able to love others and respond wisely. It is a place of peace and strength.

I am not saying we should never respond or reply. However, when I examine my motives first, I can be guided in how to respond in a helpful way. A vigorous response, aimed at putting someone else in their place, is often an indication that I may have work to do in my own heart.

Look at some of your recent interactions where you have reacted loudly, harshly, or strongly. Maybe there is something for you to learn. Regardless of what someone else says or does, in Christ you are always anchored and secure. Let that truth rest on your heart and guide your interactions.


No comments: