Thursday, January 25, 2018

Grief, One Year Later

It has been a year since our family experienced a life-changing loss. My 28 year old daughter, Chasity, died from a heroin overdose on January 28, 2017. The opioid epidemic brought with it this reoccurring nightmare for tens of thousands of families in our country. Over 42,000 Americans died from drug overdose in 2016. The official numbers for last year are not available yet, but everyone knows they are not trending down. This is tragic, heart wrenching and sickening.

My daughter's death, as well as her struggle with drug addiction, has given me a different lens through which I can view others. My propensity to criticize and evaluate is being nudged out of the way by compassion. The "log in my eye" is not completely gone, but I feel differently about the speck in your eye. I have addictions too, ones that are not likely to cause my sudden death, but still they reveal my desperate need to rest in the love and grace of God. Perhaps more honesty about this sort of thing would be helpful in our culture, in our congregations. I believe many American churches have a long way to go before drug addicts feel safe entering the building without condescending glances. Will they hear a gospel shared with authentic love, untainted by judgement? I hope my church is moving in that direction.

One year removed from the shock and pain of overdose death in my immediate family, I'm not completely sure how I'm supposed to be feeling, what I'm supposed to be doing. Before you jump to conclusions (like I often do), let me clarify. I am aware that there is no "right" way to grieve. But I still can't help but sense that I've missed something and I should be ______ (fill in the blank). A wise and dear friend told me it is never helpful to "should" on yourself or others. Still, I'm wondering about this difficult process. It is a process.

After the death of a loved one I have heard others say, "I think about them every day." Well, the plain truth is, some days pass and I don't think about Chasity. I want to be okay with that. The loss doesn't change because it is not front and center in my thinking. My love for her is not diminished. Day by day, moment by moment I have been living my life for the past year, in the shadow that has been cast by her death. I have laughed. I have cried. I have struggled. I have trusted. I have loved. I have been angry. I have been sad. I have been ashamed. I have talked. I have been silent. I have preached. I have whined. I am human. Life does indeed go on, until it doesn't.

The death of my oldest daughter has caused me to look at my other two daughters differently. I occasionally feel fearful around the thought that I will lose them too. I'm not sure they realize, but I have tried to hug them more. I suspect that many parents have a fear of losing a child. Prior to Chasity's death I also had that fear, but it was more theoretical. Experiencing reality has a way of raising awareness and bringing truth into perspective.

This life is short. We will experience loss. There is not really a way to fully prepare for walking that particular road. The presence of trusted friends and family have aided me. My faith and hope in Christ has been extremely helpful. But with humanity comes a frailty that impacts even God-given faith. Although mixed with fear and doubt at times, my faith is still present and powerful. We must live with this delicate tension, embracing our humanity as well as the Divine.

I can not go back. I can not undo or unsay anything. I have no idea what will come across my path tomorrow. I only have this moment, to live and love and also at times to grieve. Although during the last year our family has experienced pain and loss, there is much for which I am thankful. It is a very helpful thing to consider grief, and at the same time, gratitude. That is a place where I am certain we will also discover the boundless reservoir of God's grace.

[For those interested, I wrote about these circumstances and their impact last year here and here.]

8 comments:

Unknown said...

John,
I have known you for quite a while and I don't know if you remember or not but shortly before I met you back in Fairmont, I had lost both of my parents 4 months apart at the age of 17. While my experience was slightly different, the death of loved ones still has the same numbing and devastating affect and took me years to overcome. While I can't say I know exactly how you feel, I can say I've been where you are and I know without question, when people would ask me how I got through it, God and my faith in Christ is the only answer I can honestly give. I pray that God will bring peace and comfort to you and your family as you work through the passing of your daughter. There isn't anything I think I can say that someone else hasn't probably already said to you to try and bring you comfort so all I will say is, I love you bro and while we are all walking the same road of life, we all take different paths and have different and similar experiences we can share to try and help each other through,to prayerfully end up in eternal paradise one day. And in that paradise, we'll once again see those we have lost and be united forever. Be encouraged and may God continue to richly bless you. Y.I.T.B.

Wayne Eldridge

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jon. What a wonderful word for our culture and the Church. Honesty, raw and brutal, has been lost. Your words shine light on the path to recovering Spirit-filled words of truth. -Will Wilson

Frodo said...

Thank you for sharing your story. It means so much to me. You have made such a difference in my life. You have been with my family when we needed you most. You are loved and respected by so many. I don’t stay in touch as I should but I know you are always there. I hope you know that I am always here too. God bless you and your lovely family. I am grateful that you are in our lives. Fredajane

Anonymous said...

Jon,
I know it has been a difficult and challenging year for you and your family. I really loved your letter. I also lost my father at a young age, he as only 51 and yes I do not think of him everyday but the pain is,still there. Thank you Jon

Jon Cyrus said...

Thanks everyone so much for the kind and encouraging words, prayers and presence in my life.

Anonymous said...

Jon- unfortunately I traveled my own paths of struggles of addiction and thankfully salvation. I am so glad to hear you share your story from your side. I cannot help but think that Chasity would be proud that you are standing out and standing up for her and others like her, and myself. Sometimes just a little hope can go a long way! Hope starts with love and we cannot love without knowing God. 1John4:8 (This is the greatest according to Paul in his letter to Corinthians as well right?!!!) We must Love one another as Christ loved us. I attached my testimony if it is any help to you Jon or anyone you know. Please feel free reach out if I can help out ever in anyway!! YITB
heathconklin@gmail.com
http://www.coldwaterchurch.org/sermons/heath-conklin

Randy BYRNSIDE said...

Whatched her grow up from grade school thru adult hood. Was bff to my daughter. God bless you john. I know what your words mean and you are 100% correct. I have known you since late 79. Prayers for peace and some day understanding. And pray the same for me.Drugs are not discriminating and killing our babies. Pray for mercy on our children

Don Hill said...

Jon, your words are wise, compassionate, and godly. I can’t imagine losing a child and don’t want to even try. It is my greatest fear. Sometimes I think the only answer is that we live in a fallen world full of pain, suffering, and sin. And God grieves with us, hurts with us, and wants to comfort us like we would with our own children. He’s still a good Father. And so are you, Jon. Your faith and your strength are an inspiration to your family, your church, and your friends . I don’t know if I would be so strong. Thank you for setting an example for the rest of us, and thank you for being such a blessing to me.